Thursday 2 May 2013

Review: If I Should Die by Amy Plum

Published by: HarperTeen
Release date:
7th May 2013
Series:
Revenants #3
I got it from:
Amazon
Goodreads summary:

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?
 

My review:
I have been waiting for this book for a whole year. I absolutely adored the first two books in the trilogy, and I've lost count of the amount of times I've read them, despite the incredibly frustrating cliffhanger at the end of book 2. It's been a long, long year waiting for the end to the trilogy. Was it worth the wait? Definitely!

I have to admit, I was a teensy bit worried after reading the Jules PoV novella Die For Her - don't get me wrong, I lurve Jules, but his story didn't quite do it for me - too much back-story stuffed into too few pages. I kept faith though, believing that If I Should Die would be back to the Amy Plum we know and love, full of romance, action and amazing revenant lore, and I was right. It couldn't be more perfect.

I really can't say much at all about the story without dropping some fairly hefty spoilers, so I guess this is going to be a short review! Suffice to say, if you've read the first two books, you need the third one in your life. It will complete you.

Now, either I'm a bit psychic or a couple of parts of the story were a bit predictable, but I didn't mind that, because what I predicted was exactly what I wanted, so if it hadn't happened I would have been upset. But there were plenty of surprises along the way too, with some brilliant bits of revenant magic and legend coming into play. Plum's romantic zombies are the best monster I've come across in a long time - so original, and with such a wonderful story behind them. It also makes a change for the monster that the girl falls for to be a real good guy - no bloodsuckers denying their thirst here! Not even a numa who wants to change his ways - well, not for Kate anyway.

One thing I really love about the revenants books is that Plum gives us a few side-stories to keep things interesting throughout. The group of revenants at La Maison, along with Kate's family, are all great characters in their own right and I loved the parts they had to play in this final book. Kate and Vincent may be the main event, but the support acts are not to be missed! Another thing I can't get enough of is Kate herself - as the one telling the story we really get to know her well, and she has a wonderful voice. She's been through so much and come out of it with such inner strength, she's the perfect heroine really.

Now if I'm honest, I'd have to say that there are a couple of loose ends left flapping around at the end of the book, but maybe that's a hint that Plum will return to the world of the revenants one day. A spin-off for Jules would be ideal! On the whole though, I really think that If I Should Die is a great book. I have to admit that I'm biased as I'm a huge fan, but I can still write objectively. The pace is good, the writing is exactly what we've come to expect from Plum, and the story is amazing. You'll be on the edge of your seat, sighing with joy at the perfect romance one minute and mopping up tears for the fallen in the next. If you're reading this and you haven't yet read the first two revenant books, read my review of Die For Me then go away and read all three books now! I'm off to read them all again...

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really fun series, I love your review! Would you be interested in blurbing your review over at Bookstore Bookblogger Connection? We're in need of more paranormal and YA.
    http://bookstorebloggerconxn.com/about/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bookstorebloggerconxn, I'd love to share! will get over to your site and enter some blurb for you.

      Delete