Sunday 7 April 2013

Review: Shooting Stars by Clayton Zane

Published by: Odyssey Books Inc
Release date: 14th December 2011
Series: n/a
I got it from: NetGalley

Goodreads summary:
The Beatles sang "All you need is love," but whatever happened to sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? For one young Sydney musician, life is like a shooting star - fast and beautiful. He has unparalleled talent, a record contract with his band, and after fleeting relationships with a parade of gorgeous girls, he has finally met the enigmatic girl of his dreams. But love isn't always written with four chords and a major key, and soon he finds himself heartbroken in his very own fairytale.Shooting Stars is touching, raw, humorous and sexual, guided by a motley group of youths inspired by the messages of famous musicians. Our hero learns that love often only exists in the gaps between us, almost within reach. With this in mind, he sets out to make his mark and climb to a dazzling height. From there, the fall will look spectacular.

My review:
I don't really like to write reviews of books that I didn't get or enjoy much - I'm not good at being uncomplimentary, and I'm of the 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all' school, but I owe it to NetGalley to post a review, so here it is. 

I'm afraid Shooting Stars didn't do anything more me. The premise sounded good - sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll! But when it came down to it, there was just a lot of gratuitous drug-taking, some sex that didn't have enough feeling behind it, and some music. 

I don't know the progatonist's name. I don't know if that's because we're never told it, or because I don't care enough to remember. This novel is supposed to contain love and heartache, but all it really contains is drugs and arrogance. It's entirely possible that the voice of the protagonist is very true, and it we're being given a rare glimpse into a rock-star's messed-up mind, but if that's the case, I don't want to catch even a glimpse of it. I didn't like any of the main characters enough to want to keep reading about them. I forced myself to make it to the end, but I have to say, it was a chore. 

I've never been so blunt or damning in a review, and I don't like myself while I'm doing it, but this is the reaction this book incites in me. Weirdly, I can imagine it making quite a good film - visionary assistance could fill in the gaps where the writing fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment