Wednesday 11 May 2016

Review: Resurgence

Resurgence Resurgence by Kerry Wilkinson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Silver Blackthorne has to be one of my favourite YA heroines. She never wanted the life that's been thrust upon her. She doesn't want to be a hero, a figurehead, a call to arms. But her natural character, her deep care for those around her, her unerring moral compass, her inability to stand down against inequality all mean that she is the best person for the job.

The deep friendships are one of the things that struck me most in this series. There's a love triangle that annoyed me slightly because it seemed unnecessary, but by the end I realised that it was just Silver - what single guy can be around a girl like her and not become at least a little infatuated? But the friendships between the escapee offerings were what tied the whole story together.

The best thing about the long-awaited release of the end to this series? It meant I got to re-read the first two books. Wilkinson's dystopian world is a clever one, and one that I relished spending time in. His characters are the main draw though - from the fierce heroine to the evil Minister Prime, the whole cast of the trilogy are extremely well-developed and fall into their respective roles with consumate ease. And the plot is just crazy, in a good way. There are so many twists and turns that I never could have predicted, so much that needed to happen to make the brilliant ending work the way it needed to. Wilkinson is nothing short of a genius, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment